Mr & Mrs Film Reviews

Mr and Mrs KNIGHT met each other for the first time working together at Greater Union Cinemas in Adelaide in 2008. Both in their twenties and passionate about all things cinema, and as it turns out, each other.
They built their friendship together watching movies such as Watchman, Bolt and the Curious Case of Benjamin Button and in 2009 they started their relationship whilst getting a caricature of themselves at the Royal Adelaide Show.
Mr KNIGHT worked at the Cinema for six years before moving on. Mrs KNIGHT stayed three, advanced her resume at both university and the workplace prior to moving with Mr KNIGHT to Canberra in 2012.
It was in Canberra that Mrs KNIGHT returned to the movie industry taking a publicity role at Dendy Cinemas and Icon Films. Mr and Mrs KNIGHT married in February 2015 and continued to share their love for movies.
Please look through our movie reviews and enjoy the perspective of both a young husband and wife as we watch a variety of movies and tell it how it is.
Treat Yourself.



Mr & Mrs Knight

Mr & Mrs Knight

Sunday 18 October 2015

Pick of the Month: GIRLS - TV Series

 
Comedy/Drama
Rated – M
Duration – 5 Seasons
Release – 2012-2016
Creator –Lena Dunham
Cast –Lena Dunham, Allison Williams, Jemima Kirke, Zosia Mamet, Adam Driver, Alex Karpovsky


Mr Knight and I are taking it in turns to share with you a “Pick of the Month”. Mr Knight previously did Jurassic World and for my first one I have chosen the TV Series Girls. I warn you, there may be a couple of spoilers.


I have so many opinions on this show that I don’t know where to start. I was very reluctant to watch it, as I heard it was like Sex & the City, but for women in their 20’s. I’m immediately sceptical when someone tries to compare something to one of my favourite TV Series, but with that aside, I thought I would give it a go.


Girls
introduces us to four very different female friends, living in New York. The funny and quirky one, pretty one, nerdy one, and the hippy one. This is a very brief desciption of theIr personalities, there is of course more layers, but I just want to give you the idea. The show gives us an insight into their lives from love, friendship, careers and family. From my summary, you probably wouldn’t expect it, but this show actually goes against every cliché you would imagine. So much so, that it made me feel uncomfortable that nothing was ever in their favour or going how I expected. I found this quite depressing.




In the first episode we see Hannah; who is played by the writer/creator Lena Dunham seeking attention from her sort of boyfriend Adam (Adam Shakler). I initially thought, “There is no way this guy will be a central character. What a loser!” SPOILER ALERT. He is the central boyfriend character throughout the entire season! This was when I realised, every single character was unlikeable. Including the story line.

Another thing which annoyed me was that I didn’t understand why Hannah needed to be naked in every single episode. I understand many women found this empowering as she’s not the typical image of a ‘perfect’ body (not a size 6). But I didn’t find this empowering at all. I really didn’t need to see her topless every single episode. This is only one example of something that made me cringe.

These girls live their lives around drama and I found this tedious to watch. While one major thing happened each season, I didn’t feel like anything happened in an episode – does that make sense? The stupid thing is, I continued to watch it. Actually, I binged on it, by watching the whole series in about a month. This doesn’t mean I didn’t complain the entire time.

While everything that Hannah (and all of them) did annoyed me, by the end of Season 4, I liked her. And Adam, and Jessa. Well… I at least want to see what happens to them. Which is why I continued watching and I’m looking forward to Season 5. I think I’m just used to seeing polished characters, who have highs and lows. I feel Girls has raw characters with lows and lows… It is definitely not Sex & the City (how dare you even suggest that!) but I think it is worth watching. You will know from the first episode if you want to watch more. You may not like it. But you will want to watch more.






No comments:

Post a Comment